[NAFEX] Apple pressing

hwparker at verizon.net hwparker at verizon.net
Sun Dec 7 07:59:03 EST 2008

Claude et al,

I, too, appreciate your info and data.  Although I have not done the
weight study w/ my recent change to a slurry grinder (I use a disposal
to grind) i kinda doubt that I would get anything out of a second
press. My pomace comes out dry and hard as a pressed board and has to
broken apart with some force.  I will check in the spring and see if
any animals tried to chew on the blocks of pomace; I have my doubts.

I use the slatted basket and divider boards that are serrated to help
the flow out to the edges and am still using the hand screw method.
With the apple slurry it is awfully easy and simple. With my
previously used grater much like Claude's I was getting visible pieces
of apple and always felt that despite extra pressure there was some
juice left in the mini-pieces.

I will do a weight study on my next season's batches for interests sake.
I am in NH, zone 4, elevation 1600