[NAFEX] M7 needs staking in heavy clay soils?

Alan Haigh alandhaigh at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 15:47:51 EST 2008

To the person who wrote that M7 trees need staking in heavy clay soils I say
expand that statement to many soils with many varieties of apples.  I've
found that more vegetative and late fruiting apples like Northern Spy will
anchor well on this rootstock but most varieties stand a good chance of
blowing over about year 5 or with the first heavy crop.

In soils that tend to get saturated in early fall M7 trees may never anchor
adequately or at least I'm running out of patience at one such sight with 8
year trees.  In my nursery I grow mostly on 111 these days although I wish
Geneva 30 was more available.  I don't really like growing apples on bushes,
when I plant I want to leave a legacy.