[NAFEX] Apple pressing

Mark Angermayer hangermayer at isp.com
Sat Dec 6 14:39:21 EST 2008

Thanks Del, Muph, and Claude,

Del,  Thanks for the heads up on the problem with the maple parts.  I'll
know either to put a sealer on them, as Claude suggests, or use SS.

Northern Tool also sells some cheap jacks with 17 1/2" throw.  I don't know
what the surface area of your cheeses are, but if they are the same as
Claude's 8 ton should be plently.  I read some research that indicated the
yield falls off drastically after about 75 psi.  If I recall, it was
something like 70% yield at 75psi and 75% yield at 115 psi.  However, this
was Canadian literature, so you may not be able to trust it :-)

Murph,

I would do some experimenting with a plastic bucket, before going to the
expense of making a SS bucket with holes.  I really wonder if the pressing
bags will tolerate exuding through the holes, and then retract from the
holes, as the platen passes by.  I am still toying with the idea of a SS
pressing bucket, but if I decide to go that route, I plan to make the bucket
with SS slats.  In other words, I'd use some 1" SS tube and weld it to SS
rings, so the pressing bag will slide down.

Claude,

Thanks for the helpful comments.  I'd be interested to see what your press
looks like, but I couldn't get the link to work.  Is it still active?

Mark
KS