[NAFEX] Frozen Apple Question

nottke1 nottke1 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 6 09:57:36 EST 2008

Since the trees started to produce a few years ago, I have picked my Lady Williams apples about mid-December, after checking for ripeness starting in mid-November.  But a couple weeks ago one night got down to 15 degrees (tied the record low for the date) and after that the apples slowly lost their crispness and the cores started to turn a watery pale green.  So I picked them all last week, and stored them in the fridge, except for a few I left at room temperature.  The apples setting at room temp have great aromatic taste with moderate acidity and are firm, though no longer crisp.
For future years, can anyone tell me how low a temperature apples can take on the tree?
Thanks,

Jim Nottke
Zone 7
Pfafftown, North Carolina