[NAFEX] OT Light bulb as Xmas gift

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Sat Dec 6 09:20:19 EST 2008

On Dec 6, 2008, at 9:09 AM, S & E Hills wrote:

> I find that in cooler situations (front porch, basement) that the
> CFL bulbs are dim, though they eventually brighten up (though not
> in the time I am wanting to get what I am trying to get done….it
> would be silly for me to go over and turn on the basement light 5
> minutes before I go down to find a tool from my workstation).

I used to buy CFL for my front stoop, but they "burned out" really
fast.  I went to a good hardware store and the clerk told me the
problem was that they don't work when it's cold.  There are special
CFL that you can use in the cold, but they have a larger base and
don't fit in the fixture out front.  (And I tried some of the lights
that had "died" inside, and they worked fine.  He was right, they
just wouldn't light outside due to the temp.)  But depending on your
fixture, the cold-weather ones might work in your basement.

I bought a few LED bulbs recently.  The one that claimed to be 100w
equivalent also came with warnings not to use it outdoors.  The ones
that claimed to be 60W (and are probably more like 40-50w)
equivalents didn't have any similar warning, and are now in the
fixture outdoors.  It's below freezing, and they seem to work.  And
they use many fewer watts than incandescents and I expect them to
last a lot longer.  I look forward to brighter ones, but these will
do for now.

Ginda