[NAFEX] Regarding Haskups

Glenn & Kathy Russell GlennAndKathy2 at cox.net
Fri Dec 5 21:21:19 EST 2008

Hi Martha-

            I'm in zone 6b, RI, and I was planning on adding a couple
Honeyberries next year.  From the specified zones, it looked like I'd be
right in the middle of the Blue Belle's zone 6-9.  Would you have any
reservations about planting that variety here?  Thanks,

                        -Glenn

Honeyberry Blue Belle Gurneys  Zones: 3-9

Berry Blue Honeysuckle (this was the closest I found at Raintree, but the
pic looked right)  Zones: 2-7

Didn't see anything at Edible Landscaping.

----------------

>Regarding Haskups

>Both Raintree and One Green World Nurseries sell Honey Berry or Haskups. As
does Edible Landscaping.  Maxine Thompson At OSU in Corvallis Oregon is
doing breeding work, but has not release any of her varieties >yet,that I am
aware of.  The problem is in the U.S. is that the initial releases of Haskup
bloomed too early so the people that had luck with them were in Maine but
not farther south.  There are now some later blooming >varieties that work
better in Oregon and presumably parts south.  Some listings sort the
varieties they offer into earlier and later blooming types.  I guess the
problem in Oregon was such early bloom that the insects >were out yet, or
possibly frost damage to flowers.