[NAFEX] OT Light bulb as Xmas gift

Hal Love lovehd at comcast.net
Fri Dec 5 11:53:50 EST 2008

Contrary to popular belief, compact fluorescents are still somewhat more efficient than the best white LEDs, and MUCH more cost effective. I think that CFLs also put out a more useful light for house hold use. The only advantages of the LEDs would be longer life and lack of mercury. The longer life is not nearly enough to overcome the higher cost, so mercury-free lighting would be the only real advantage at this time. I do think that LED lighting will get more competitive as the technology matures and more people start using them.

Hal