[NAFEX] Fruit Berry and Nut Inventory

Sarah Kehler Ewing skkewing at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 21:23:29 EST 2008

I find using the "Fruit Berry and Nut Inventory" to be an exercise in pure torture.  Getting to only read about all those intriguing varieties that aren't available in Canada or simply haven't a hope of surviving up here is just not fair!  Having said that, it is one of my favourite tools to use in determining what I might be able to graft and grow up here.  The two largest sources of budwood that I am aware off (PICO in B.C. and Canada's Clonal Genebank in Ontario) happily send out frustratlying long lists of fruit identified by common and/or Latin names without any description whatsoever.

I also recommend Brendan Casement's "Description of Apples and Crabapples That Could Have Been Grown on the Canadian Prairies" (like reading research notes) and Ontario's Shahrokh Khanizadeh's "Our Apples", "Our Strawberries" and "Our Plums" (coffee table worthy books stuffed with full colour photos, electron micrographs, cross-sections, and lots of research information on cultivars popular in Ontario).

Sarah
Zone 3b Edm. AB