[NAFEX] Quince flavor

Douglas Woodard dwoodard at becon.org
Thu Dec 4 13:21:34 EST 2008

The question of whether quince rootstock increases the susceptibilty of
pear scions to fireblight has been controversial in the Niagara Peninsula.

Expert opinion has concluded that the incidents which aroused concern
were the result of careless management by large grape growers who didn't
take the trouble to learn or train their staff about how to manage
fireblight when they planted dwarf pears.

Although quince itself is highly susceptible to fireblight, quince
rootstock actually seems to *decrease* pear susceptibilty to fireblight
here because it eliminates the secondary blossom which is a major route
for fireblight infection. All the quince that is exposed on a typical
dwarf tree is a few inches of rootstock between the soil and the pear
scion or interstem. There are almost never any sprouts from it that
might produce soft new growth susceptible to fireblight infection, and
it is not often wounded.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario

Donna &/or Kieran wrote:

[snip]

>     When I asked about the problem of fireblight in quinces for rootstock
> for pear, Annie Black said  quince has it's problems, but in their location
> fireblight doesn't seem to be one of them.  They have not only the heat and
> humidity that I contend with, but also poor air circulation.

[snip]