[NAFEX] Apricot kernels

Martha L. Davis martha_davis at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 4 13:02:10 EST 2008

Stephan,

"As your friendly neighborhood biochemist" How do you suggest I test apricot kernels for low amigdalyn levels?  I am grafting a variety of types, some of which are known to be sweet pit and some bitter and some unknown.  I am interested in using sweet ones as nuts, but certainly not interested in cyanide poisoning.  I know that it is possible to use heat to denature the enzyme that converts the precursor to the poison, when done on bitter pits one gets a sort of solid almond flavoring not a nut in the munchie sense, but it seems likely that that processing method isn't used on the sweet pit ones and isn't needed.  Any ideas?

Martha