[NAFEX] Quince flavor

Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov
Wed Dec 3 14:11:43 EST 2008

I just tried some Cydonia oblonga quince that I purchased at the grocery
store. They were very yellow, firm and aromatic.  I stewed them with a
small amount of sugar.  I was so disappointed in the stewed fruit. It
was firm, but insipid, and tasteless, much less flavor than either the
stewed pears or apples that I have tried.

In contrast, I had a bumper year for Chaenomeles, spp. quince years ago,
which I prepared in a similar manner.  They seemed harder and had a
stronger smell uncooked, but I remember the cooked product as delicious,
aromatic and flavorful.

Is my experience typical?

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC