[NAFEX] Wild persimmon tasting

Mark Angermayer hangermayer at isp.com
Wed Dec 3 09:51:16 EST 2008

Thanks to everyone on the persimmon advice.  The consensus is that Morris Burton could be a lot better than what I tasted, so I'll keep it for now.  I was just getting disappointed in persimmon because a couple years ago, I tried an oriental persimmon from the store, and it was terrible.  I overlooked the experience thinking perhaps, like peaches, store-bought persimmon have no resemblance to home grown persimmon, in the taste category.  Then last weekend when I tasted a wild persimmon, and didn't like it, it really had me wondering.  The wild one was fully ripe, as of last weekend, and grown in full sun.  Right now I'd like to grow the very best tasting fruit, with little regard for other characteristics.  So if it doesn't knock your socks off, it's gone.  Hoping to sell fruit locally, I want the fruit to sell itself.  I had heard Morris Burton was the sweetest of the native cultivars.

Thanks,
Mark