[NAFEX] lemon juice substitute - Rumex spp.

Bob Randall YearRoundGardening at comcast.net
Mon Dec 1 18:54:20 EST 2008

I'm not sure how far north the best of the trifoliate crosses will go,
but I have plenty of seeds of a citrus called Roundleaf (Sanford
citrange x changsha mandarin) originally called sancichang # 10 by Dr
Brown who made the cross.

I would guess it could be hardy to zero degrees F--perhaps more
perhaps less.  It is sour and if you stay away from the skin which has
some trifoliate gum cells, has a juice that is basically sour and
edible enough.  I use it here where tasty things grow as a decoy plant
to keep sidewalk visitors from hopping the fence and don't eat it.
The fruit looks a bit like a Seville orange.  That is somewhat like an
orange. I have neighbors who come back and pick it every year, so it
is certainly decent enough.

Bob Randall
Houston