[NAFEX] red currant jelly

Dianne Stephany iluvdanc at rochester.rr.com
Sat Aug 30 08:43:18 EDT 2008

My VistaPrint Electronic Business CardI read in a cookbook -can't remember which one- that red currant jelly can be made WITHOUT cooking!! The book said to collect the juice and put it in jars and set in the cool cellar till it jells. I remember it said it might take a week to jell.  I am assuming the sugar and sterilization of the jars would be the same.

has anyone ever done this?  I keep thinking of trying this -especially when it is 98 degrees and 98 % humidity and I am trying to cook jelly without the AC on.

The only time I had a failure of red currant jelly was when I misread the directions and put 1 cup of sugar for 4 cps of juice (instead of 1 cup of sugar for EACH cup of juice) and made a red currant taffy instead. Pucker power, but what Flavor!!  my mouth is watering now just remembering.

Dianne Stephany Rochester NY , zone 5 - with 9 gallons of red currants frozen to await jelly making in December instead of July.