[NAFEX] (no subject)

Sarah Kehler Ewing skkewing at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 00:08:33 EDT 2008

I forgot to mention that I also water bath can all my jam for 10 minutes in boiling water.  That worked fine (obviously!) for sour cherry and raspberry jams this year and sour cherry, strawberry and nanking cherry jams last year.
I have never made peach jam at all before: they don't grow here and are usually an expensive jam option.

I did try gel tests with all but the first batch (assumed since the sour cherry and raspberry worked with the alterations that the double batch of peach would too!) and they worked fine... in the fridge and the freezer, but not in the jars!  I may just have to try weighing a single batch of chopped fruit and then measuring how many cups it makes when mashed and then proceed to double the batch from there.  I am unfamiliar with the posts on cooking pectin+fruits to a certain temperature and may also have to explore that avenue.