[NAFEX] crabs, apple-crabs

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Fri Aug 29 15:51:29 EDT 2008

Circumstances you describe make it sound like a seedling.  Here's one
way to find out if it's a seedling, which would increase the odds that
it's not a named variety. Late spring, dig up root pieces, six inches
long or longer, pencil diameter.  Plant those in a nursery row and wait
for them to sprout.  Bud from the sprouts to a dwarf stock and when
they bear in a couple of years, if they are the same as the top, you
would at least know if the old tree is own-rooted.  If it is, that
greatly increases the odds that it's an unnamed seedling, not a named
variety.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
A video about The Grape Grower :