[NAFEX] Huge Wild Raspberries

jfruth at tds.net jfruth at tds.net
Fri Aug 29 08:54:57 EDT 2008

   Until yesterday, I thought that all wild red raspberries bore relatively tiny fruits and that each plant bears few of them.  Yesterday I stumbled upon the exception, clearly what early plant breeders must have found to produce today's commercial varieties.  Those berries were larger than my thumb nail and there were 'strings' of them on a branch.  They are too far out in the woods to be likely garden escapes and it wasn't just one or two plants; there are hundreds of them spread out over hundreds of square feet.
   If I didn't already have large fruited raspberries, I'd be digging them up to bring some home.  Instead, I'll return next year to see if they are still performing as they are this year.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, Minnesota