[NAFEX] Fruit butter-Pectin jell

Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov
Thu Aug 28 16:10:55 EDT 2008

Naomi,

Fruit butter is how I treat my excess fruit. I add some moisture with a
bit of thawed-from-frozen apple juice concentrate from the store.  I
tend not to add any additional sugar after that.  I slowly cook down the
fruit and use it for adding to yogurt, ice cream, cottage cheese, baked
goods as a way to keep them moist without a lot of oil and as a topping
on toast.

I have processed figs, apples, pears and blueberries this way.
Delicious and very easy.

The down side is that I believe that the finished mixture must be
refrigerated or frozen.  I do not can so I have not explored that
route..

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC