[NAFEX] Pectin jell

Mark & Helen Angermayer hangermayer at isp.com
Thu Aug 28 14:09:30 EDT 2008

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful comments on jamming.  One thing I can take from it is that experience helps a lot.

Stephen said, too much, or too ripe fruit, may have been my problem.  Now that I think about it, the peaches, at least, were pretty ripe.  And I probably did use too much fruit.  The recipe called for a volumetric measurement of chopped peaches.  But since my family doesn't like "chunky" jam, We ran the peaches through a processor to make a puree' and used that in the volumetric measurement instead chopped peaches.

I thought the pectin was sort of pricey also.  We bought three boxes and paid $3.50 total.  The pectin yielded 9 pint jars of jam.  That computes to about 60 cents per jar for pectin.

Stephen, how many boxes of pectin can you get out of a pound of the bulk pectin you buy?  The website says 1/3 cup = a box of sure jell.  At $5.15 per #, how many boxes can you get out of that pound (I know the rule is a pint/pound the world around, but I've found that doesn't work with dry measurements, they can be much "fluffier" than liquid measurements)?

Thanks,
Mark
KS- elevation about 1000'