[NAFEX] Pomona's Pectin

Don Yellman don.yellman at webformation.com
Thu Aug 28 00:28:56 EDT 2008

Mark:

We have been using Pomona's pectin for nearly 15 years now, and it  has never failed.  We make blackberry and grape jelly, raspberry, apricot, blueberry and strawberry jams, using less than 1/2 the sugar called for with Certo or Sure Jell.  However, Pomona's will also jell with artificial sweeteners like Equal, which is useful if you have diabetic friends or relatives.  There is a limitation on shelf life with low or no-sugar jams and jellies, and we generally try to rotate the stock about every 18 months or so.

We have adjusted the recipe to use almost exactly 2/3 the amount of pectin recommended on the Pomona's brochure, and find this gives us nearly perfect consistency every time.  When we use the full amount, the jelly sets up too hard.  Using this amount, a 1-oz. packet of Pomona's will produce 4 times as much jelly as a packet of Ball's or other brands, making it significantly cheaper to use.  Pomona's uses a small amount of calcium solution as the jelling catalyst, but we have never been able to even notice the slightest trace of this tiny bit of calcium in the flavor of the final product.  If you tried Pomona's, I doubt that you would ever go back to Ball's or any other brand.

You can mailorder Pomana's for $4.50 the 1-oz pack, or $24.00 for 8 ounces bulk, which is a better deal.  The pectin is accompanied by a packet of calcium and instructions.  E-mail is info at pomonapectin.com

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA