[NAFEX] Two Questions

abb7 at Lehigh.EDU abb7 at Lehigh.EDU
Wed Aug 27 22:37:55 EDT 2008

> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:25:57 -0500
> From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva at charter.net>
> Subject: [NAFEX] Two Questions
> To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
>

> I asked this question last year or the year before, but I didn't
> record the >answer.  How do you tell when an Asian pear is ready to
> pick?  My 2-1 tree is >loaded with Korean Giants and Shinseikis.

Someone on gardenweb told me about this trick last year, my first year
for Asian pears (Shinko):  Go out at night with a flashlight, and hold
the light right up to the back of the pear pear.  Before it is ripe,
it will be pretty much opaque.  When it is ripe, it will glow.  Worked
great for me last year

Alex