[NAFEX] Pectin jell

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Wed Aug 27 17:45:37 EDT 2008

PS to my last post:

I kinda suspect you needed another 30 seconds boiling in addition to using
the full amount of sugar.  That timing depends on fruit acidity/ripeness and
the weather, as well as pectin and sugar amounts.

~ Stephen

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Mark & Helen
Angermayer
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:00 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: [NAFEX] Pectin jell

This may be a question asked before, but was wondering what went wrong with
our jam making?  Made a batch of peach jam and used 75% of the sugar that
the recipe called for.  Used "Ball" brand pectin and followed all other
instructions, which called for boiling the jam hard for one minute.  Then
hot packed the jam.  Problem is, the jam didn't set up as firm as I thought
it should.  Although the flavor is excellent, it's the consistency is
thinner than I'd like.  About the consistancy of thick honey.  Thought maybe
using less sugar caused it not to jell.  But then we made another batch of
jam, this time with some strawberries left over in the freezer.  This time
we used the full amount of sugar on the recipe.  Again the jam didn't firm
up real good (although it's slightly firmer than the peach jam).

My question, what caused the jam not to jell well?  I know a lot of folks
recommend Pomona's pectin, which is what I should have used, but we used
what was available at the time.  Is Ball pectin a really bad product?  Would
it have helped if we would have boiled the jam longer?

Mark

KS