[NAFEX] Pectin jell

Dianne Stephany iluvdanc at rochester.rr.com
Wed Aug 27 15:31:34 EDT 2008

Mark,
I make jam and have the same problem--I don't know why sometmes it sets and sometimes it doesn't.  Definitely on the first batch reducing the sugar alters the set, but why also in the second batch I dont know. I don't do strawberry jam, though.

I usually use red currant juice as my pectin source and mix and match to make jelly. Red currant juice with mixed berries is nice in a ratio of 1:1, equal parts.  Red currant peach is nice, more red currant less peach. The only batch I made using pectin (Ball) was ginger peach preserves and it worked out ok.

Dianne In zone 5 where the pears are starting to look golden.