[NAFEX] Pectin jell

Mark & Helen Angermayer hangermayer at isp.com
Wed Aug 27 13:59:43 EDT 2008

This may be a question asked before, but was wondering what went wrong with our jam making?  Made a batch of peach jam and used 75% of the sugar that the recipe called for.  Used "Ball" brand pectin and followed all other instructions, which called for boiling the jam hard for one minute.  Then hot packed the jam.  Problem is, the jam didn't set up as firm as I thought it should.  Although the flavor is excellent, it's the consistency is thinner than I'd like.  About the consistancy of thick honey.  Thought maybe using less sugar caused it not to jell.  But then we made another batch of jam, this time with some strawberries left over in the freezer.  This time we used the full amount of sugar on the recipe.  Again the jam didn't firm up real good (although it's slightly firmer than the peach jam).

My question, what caused the jam not to jell well?  I know a lot of folks recommend Pomona's pectin, which is what I should have used, but we used what was available at the time.  Is Ball pectin a really bad product?  Would it have helped if we would have boiled the jam longer?

Mark
KS