[NAFEX] Wild Plum Jam - sooooo astringent

Diane Porter dporter at lisco.com
Mon Aug 25 07:09:33 EDT 2008

I picked some wild plums that for the first time have ripened nicely.
The skins are sour and astringent, but the juice is sweet and fragrant
like flowers. I made some jam by nicking the skins, boiling the
fruits, and squeezing out the juice.

Oh my, was it astringent! Clearly the skins ruined the jam.

I still have enough plums to try again, but how to go about it... The
fruits are so small that it's not practical to skin them. Any thoughts
on how to preserve the goodness and avoid the astringency of these
lovely fruits?

Thanks,

Diane Porter, Fairfield, Iowa