[NAFEX] Planting replacement trees in same site as failed trees

Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov
Tue Aug 19 13:26:45 EDT 2008

Can anyone comment on a bit of conventional wisdom I have run across?
"Do not replace a failed tree with the same type of tree at a single
site."

My planting sites are limited. I have replaced nut trees (pecan, Chinese
chestnut) that have had apparent graft failures with subsequent pecans
and Chinese chestnut.  I plan to do so with my failed espalier apples.

I have dug deeper into reference books to see a scientific reason (other
than disease) why I should not reuse a site.  I cannot find an
explanation.

Am I courting failure replanting at a site?

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC