[NAFEX] Cooking red currants

Martha L. Davis martha_davis at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 16 14:38:20 EDT 2008

My favorite way to eat red currants (other than just plain) is to make rote gruetze or rotgrot or red fruit juice dessert.  The recipie is more or less circumpolar German, Swedish, Russian etc slightly different names and fruits and probably thickeners. It is a cornstarch thickened fruit pudding made with fruit, sugar, water cornstarch and a cinnamon stick. Traditionally you serve with it cream either floating on top or whipped.  Cook the fruit with the water sugar and cinnamon stick 5 minutes or so.  Pull the cinnamon stick out.  Sieve the fruit mixture if you are going to,  add the corn starch mixed with a little water and bring to a boil agin untill the starch is cooked and pour into serving dishes.  It is simple and quick to make and can be served warm or chilled.  I originally had it made with pulped raspberries.  A Russian restaurant made it with cranberries.  I didn't make it all that often because of the sieving the fruit step. Then I had it in Germany  made with whole red currants, gooseberries, raspberries, strawberries and tart cherries  seeds pits and all.  Now I make more often unsieved  with lots of different combinations, though plain red currant is a favorite.  One note, black currants have enough flavor to overwhelm most other flavors in the mix if you use them in quantity.

Red currants also make very nice wine and jam or jelly.  The summer pudding is great.

Martha