[NAFEX] No Yellow Jackets???

Donna &/or Kieran holycow at cookeville.com
Fri Aug 15 18:32:50 EDT 2008

Hal,  Yes, we had noticed that down in the Central Basin where they run 2
weeks ahead of us, that there was even more damage to the hickories, etc.
    Something I'm going to have to watch on my young hicans is that first
they lost their main buds in the freeze and had to come out on secondary
buds, then those new twigs were damaged by cicadas and now their phi ratios
are totally screwed up.  By which I mean that their natural grace has been
wrecked and the trees could have weird forms when they get old.  I'll
probably slowly take off side branches and get to the point where all the
branching is from above the damaged area.  After all, hicans get really
tall, and these guys are only about 12 ft tall now.
    Ever since we heard a lecture on phi ratios I have been looking more
carefully at the way plants grow when they look "right" and how they are
messed up when they look "wrong".    Donna