[NAFEX] No Yellow Jackets???

Jim Fruth jfruth at tds.net
Fri Aug 15 08:43:05 EDT 2008

Hal wrote, "Normally, the peaches and pears are swarming with them by now. I
think it had something to do with the total lack of fruit last year due to
the Easter freeze, followed by the exceptional drought. It not only seems to
have wiped out the yellow jackets"

    We need a new hypothesis.  I've got Yellow Jackets, "tons" of them.
They have a huge nest under my picnic table.  Normally, they would be
competing with me for the blackberries but not so this year.  They were late
in getting out in Spring so now they are still making brood and expanding
their nest.  In normal years they would be nearly done raising brood and all
the unneeded members would be foraging for sweet fruits by now.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: