[NAFEX] berry sweetness: soil, sun or genes?

Jenny Ruth Yasi voices at maine.rr.com
Wed Aug 13 13:57:52 EDT 2008

I'm noticing that my red raspberries this year, that is, the ones that
aren't moldy, are much more sour than usual. All the acid rain maybe?
Wondering if maybe sweeter berries grow in more alkaline soil (sorry if this
has already been discussed, I'm in  skimming mode)?

Although the reds haven't been nearly as productive as usual, the thorny
black raspberries are more than making up for it, absolutely loaded. The
blacks seem to have enjoyed all this cold wet rainy weather, while this
weather just dissolved our red raspberry crop...

Yasi
Peaks Island Maine
zone 5ish