[NAFEX] Red currants

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Wed Aug 13 11:41:18 EDT 2008

> A pie very similar to gooseberry can be made with unripe grapes. Pick
> them before they start to ripen and the seeds will still be soft and
> unnoticeable when cooked. Use a standard gooseberry pie recipe.

That's interesting,.. if I ever have enough grapes that I want to waste
them this way. Heh, heh. Seriously, grapes are too good ripe (something
I can't say about most gooseberries - not bad, but not great). Also,
gooseberry pie has such a delicious... gooseberry flavor. Well, I
suppose grape pie would have its own flavor. And I do love pie! :)

> I think you are completely right about red currant pie, it is not worth it being watery, unappetizing to look at and not a great flavour (you see I have tried).  Of course black currants are quite a different proposition; with apples or on their own they make a wonderful, I mean superior!, pie.

Well, that sounds interesting, too. But I really don't want to eat TOO
much pie. And I don't cook, myself.

> For reds the usual English alternative along the general lines of my simple red-currants-with-peaches is Summer Pudding. If you have other (usually red or reddish) fruit, say raspberries, cherries or blackberries the combination in an uncooked pie (with `crust' made of bread) is excellent -- I'm sure you can find a recipe easily enough and it IS good.

Thanks! I'll check that out.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
We are as gods and might as well get good at it. - Stewart Brand