[NAFEX] pyrethrin insecticides and cats

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Tue Aug 12 23:15:31 EDT 2008

On Aug 12, 2008, at 5:02 PM, Lucky Pittman wrote:

> At 09:11 PM 8/11/2008, you wrote:
>> I think cat's can be more sensitive than other mammals.  When I
>> was a kid,
>> we dipped some cats in the dog dip and they acted drunk, probably
>> because
>> the insecticide affected the nervous system.  We currently have
>> some dog
>> pour-on insecticide that warns, most emphatically, not to use on
>> cats.
>
> Cats are not small dogs.  There are, indeed some insecticides that
> you might be able to use on dogs with no adverse effects, that could
> sicken or even kill cats.  Always read the label.

I assure you I bought a product labeled for cats and kittens, and
followed the instructions carefully.  The other kitten was fine, and
our vet was surprised at the one kitten's reaction.  And the kitten
who got sick recovered (although he vomited and had the shakes for a
bit.)  I think some individuals are just more sensitive to stuff than
other individuals, and the kittens were quite young.

(The other kitten had a really scary reaction to the anesthesia the
vet used to neuter him, and was literally bouncing off the walls and
chewing on his paws and otherwise acting very abnormal for hours.  We
had to restrain him so he didn't injure himself.  And some people go
into shock from peanut butter, while others live on it.)

I agree with the person who pointed out that whatever gets used to
most is going to have the most adverse reactions, just because.

Ginda