[NAFEX] The OLDEST fruit known to man.

Robert Bruns r.fred.bruns at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 17:18:35 EDT 2008

Dr. Parmar -

There was a recent report in *Science* that figs have been domesticated at
least 11,000 years.  If you believe the report (there was some controversy
about the interpretation), then figs may have been the first domesticated
plant of any kind.

Fred

   ------------------------------

*Science* 2 June 2006:
Vol. 312. no. 5778, pp. 1372 - 1374
DOI: 10.1126/science.1125910
 Prev <http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/short/312/5778/1369> | Table of
Contents <http://www.sciencemag.org/content/vol312/issue5778/index.dtl> |
Next <http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/short/312/5778/1375>
Reports Early Domesticated Fig in the Jordan Valley *Mordechai E.
Kislev,1*Anat Hartmann,
2 Ofer Bar-Yosef3 *

It is generally accepted that the fig tree was domesticated in the Near East
some 6500 years ago. Here we report the discovery of nine carbonized
figfruits and hundreds of drupelets stored in
Gilgal I, an early Neolithic village, located in the Lower Jordan Valley,
which dates to 11,400 to 11,200 years ago. We suggest that these edible
fruits were gathered from parthenocarpic trees grown from intentionally
planted branches. Hence, fig trees could have been the first domesticated
plant of the Neolithic Revolution, which preceded cereal domestication by
about a thousand years.

1 Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar-Ilan University, 52900 Ramat-Gan, Israel.
2 Land of Israel Studies and Archaeology Department, Bar-Ilan University,
52900 Ramat-Gan, Israel.
3 Department of Anthropology, Peabody Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge,
MA 02138, USA.

* To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: kislev at mail.biu.ac.il

 Read the Full Text<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/312/5778/1372?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&andorexacttitle=or&andorexacttitleabs=or&fulltext=fig+cultivation+Israel&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=date&fdate=//&tdate=//&resourcetype=HWCIT,HWELTR>
------------------------------
 The editors suggest the following Related Resources on *Science* sites: In
*Science* Magazine *TECHNICAL COMMENTS*
Comment on "Early Domesticated Fig in the Jordan Valley" Simcha Lev-Yadun,
Gidi Ne'eman, Shahal Abbo, and Moshe A. Flaishman (15 December 2006)
*Science* *314* (5806), 1683a. [DOI: 10.1126/science.1132636]
 |  Abstract »<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/sci;314/5806/1683a>
|  Full Text »<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/sci;314/5806/1683a>
|  PDF » <http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/reprint/sci;314/5806/1683a.pdf>
 *TECHNICAL
COMMENTS*
Response to Comment on "Early Domesticated Fig in the Jordan Valley" Mordechai
E. Kislev, Anat Hartmann, and Ofer Bar-Yosef (15 December 2006)
*Science* *314* (5806), 1683b. [DOI: 10.1126/science.1133748]
 |  Abstract »<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/sci;314/5806/1683b>
|  Full Text »<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/sci;314/5806/1683b>
|  PDF » <http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/reprint/sci;314/5806/1683b.pdf>  *NEWS
OF THE WEEK*
ARCHAEOLOGY: Ancient Figs Push Back Origin of Plant Cultivation Ann Gibbons
(2 June 2006)
*Science* *312* (5778), 1292a. [DOI: 10.1126/science.312.5778.1292a]