[NAFEX] Seeking Orchard Planning Resources

dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Tue Aug 12 01:50:38 EDT 2008

One of the best and most complete resources is the Pennsylvania Tree Fruit Production Guide found at http://tfpg.cas.psu.edu/.  It has just been updated.  Hope this helps!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard, Zone 5
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
http://www.revivalhymn.com
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Geoffrey Stone
  To: Tom Burford ; nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
  Sent: Monday, August 11, 2008 10:52 AM
  Subject: [NAFEX] Seeking Orchard Planning Resources

  Hi,
      I am part of a group that wants to plant a mixed perennial orchard on one or more parcels of land in our community. A couple of us have gained some skill in grafting scion wood onto root stock and have thereby accumulated twenty or so trees that will be ready to be set out. What I am seeking is some references on how to plan an orchard. Can y'all recommend a few that would be available from the NAFEX library?
      A couple of us will be attending Tom Burford's "Cider Workshop" in Sept., so will be able to pick his brain some at that event.
      A question that has come up is:
  - given that we seem to be in a drought cycle it seems prudent to use Full Size or Semi Dwarf root stock for their deep root system which should have better drought tolerance. However, we would like to have our trees maintained to a reasonable height. The question: Can a tree on Full Size root stock be pruned in such a way so as to keep it to a reasonable size while still taking advantage of a deep root system? Is there a "down side" to this approach?
  Geoffrey Stone
  Earthaven Assn.
  Black Mountain, NC