[NAFEX] Clove currants

Lee Reich garden at leereich.com
Mon Aug 11 11:43:20 EDT 2008

I think if you let clove currant get thoroughly ripe, you might enjoy
it. I really like the fruit. Then again, Crandall is not a clone, so
there is some variation. As I stated in my book Uncommon Fruits for
Every Garden....

             The most widely grown clove currant was found in the
wild by R. W. Crandall of Newton, Kansas, in 1888. ‘Crandall’, as it
was called, had the virtue of bearing tasty fruits up to three-
quarters of an inch in diameter. Unfortunately, many plants sold as
‘Crandall’ were seedlings, so plants were variable, leading some
writers to report the flavor as good, others to report “tough skin,
unpleasant flavor” (fruits on my plants have tender skins and a very
nice flavor). In 1867, ‘Deseret’ was selected. This clove currant
cultivar was productive and bore large, dark fruits, “pleasant and
slightly tart.” ‘Jelly’, another cultivar, had a tough skin, but an
“agreeable” taste, and ‘Vermillion’, ‘Golden Prolific’, and ‘Amber’
evidently were cultivars with brightly colored fruits.

Lee Reich, PhD
http://leereich.com/

Books by Lee Reich:
The Pruning Book