[NAFEX] Electric fence chargers and squirrels

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Sun Aug 10 13:11:21 EDT 2008

> I have some expereince using electric fence to deter squirrels and
> that has led me to the conclusion that pulsating charges are not very
> affective.  A constant charge is better because the period between
> pulses is over a second and a few squirrels will likely get through
> unzapped.

Yeah, I got lazy and bought what was available in the local farm-supply
store. Considering all the work that went into putting in the fence,
that was really a mistake.

>  Red Snap'r Pet Controller worked much better for me than much more
> powerful chargers.  It is made by North Central Plastics in Ellendale
> Minnesota.  Phone# 800 533-2091.  That info is several years old so
> I'm not sure it's current.

Thanks, I'll check that out. (I should have asked here FIRST!)

>  I used to construct individual 4' by 4' squares of chicken wire
> fences with 3 strands of charged wire beneath trees and this would
> stop squirrels from jumping onto trees.  The problem was that
> construction was too time consuming to work within my business.  Most
> of my customers do not want to surround their entire orchards with
> electric fence so that hasn't been the answer for me either.

You need to bury an invisible pet fence, and then fit all the tree rats
with little collars. :-D

Most of my other fruit trees (those outside the fence) are in a row
along the west side - the street side - of my fence. Since there's no
sidewalk there, I had just enough room to plant dwarf trees (the city
requires that they be at least 12' from the street), and I should be
able to erect a temporary fence - with an electric wire at top - during
the summers.

The big problem for me will be mowing. I tried to plant buffalo grass,
which wouldn't require much mowing, but it's pretty weedy. Well, I'll
mulch the whole thing if I have to.

If I can just keep the depredation to a minimum, that will work for me.
But that might be hard to do, once the squirrels know there's fruit
available. On the other hand, they get fed all over the neighborhood (by
me, too), so they can't be TOO hungry. It might be easier to discourage
a squirrel that's full, anyway. :-)

Thanks for the info!

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. - Carl Sagan