[NAFEX] Red currants

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Sun Aug 10 12:39:34 EDT 2008

> Well Bill, no doubt it is all very much a matter of taste, but I find red (and white/champagne) currants are excellent eaten fresh in combination with ripe peaches etc. It is a combination I always look forward to; even though I cannot grow the peaches myself.

Thanks. I'll have to try that. I do have peaches this year (those I can
wrestle away from the squirrels).

One disappointment with currants is that they seem to have no
distinctive taste. The pie, for example, was just... generic. I love
pie, but I couldn't get excited about that kind. Now the gooseberry
pie,... oh, man, that was GOOD! That's probably my new favorite (beating
out strawberry-rhubarb). Gooseberries are even more sour than currants -
at least, when green - but they've got flavor to go with it.

In general, though, I want fruit I can enjoy fresh. The currants might
have been a mistake (unless your idea of eating them with peaches works
out), but we'll see. I enjoy trying new things, anyway.

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder
of civilization. - Sigmund Freud