[NAFEX] Premature yellowing and leaf-drop

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Sun Aug 10 12:31:27 EDT 2008

>     The same thing happened to half of my 'Sure-Fire' cherry and it had plenty of water.  What happened to it is a mystery to me especially since I see the same phenomena happening to road-side bushes.
>

> For what it's worth (not much), that's how my Northstar cherry died too. I doubt that your 5 inches of rain caused the trouble unless the site is really poorly drained.

> I had two Northstar cherries die in the Spring.  I don't believe they are very hardy.

Thanks for the comments. I don't feel so bad now (since it doesn't seem
to be anything I did).

I'd just guessed that the rain might have done it, since I keep hearing
about poor drainage being such a problem with fruit trees. And I have no
idea what it's like below the surface. But it appears to be just flat
ground, and we really didn't get THAT much rain. There wasn't any
standing water there, or anything like that. And nothing else was
affected. I guess it's just one of those things.

Thanks again!

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do
because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. - Susan B.