[NAFEX] Clove currants

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Sun Aug 10 12:25:14 EDT 2008

> I tasted some that were pretty good (kind of sweet grape flavor)
> before at Richard Moyer's place.  Then I got some myself and I was
> disappointed in the flavor. I had one from different source that
> wasn't half bad, but that one died.  I guess the they vary greatly and
> may be nurseries propagate them from seed?

Well, the 'Crandall' variety is not supposed to be propagated from seed,
though I bought one plant from a different nursery, and it seems a bit
different. I've got one seedling clove currant, though, and the berries
are MUCH smaller (though they still tasted lousy).

> It's funny how some Crandall plants start ripening at least 6 weeks
> before others do. I agree the staggered ripening is a pain.
> No way to know if you're tasting the same plant / flavor  as we have.
> I certainly do enjoy eating them fresh, but wait till they are quite ripe.

Yes, they're incredibly sour when not completely ripe, but I never ate
one I liked, and I kept trying all season. They lose that sour taste,
but they never seem to develop any kind of sweet taste. I can taste the
cloves (which I'd thought was only in the strongly-scented flowers), but
not much else. I really can't describe it, but I was just amazed to find
they were so bad.

> I enjoy the flavor fresh much more than that of black currants,

Well, you've convinced me never to plant black currants, anyway. Heh, heh.

Maybe I'll learn to enjoy clove currants, eventually. But I don't think
I'll bother netting them until then! And considering how they ripen -
one at a time - I can't see picking them for juice. But we'll see.

Thanks for the comments.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I don't agree with those who think that the conflict is simply between
two religions, namely Christianity and Islam. ... To me, the key