[NAFEX] Blueberries vs. Blackberries

Michael Dossett phainopepla at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 12:25:31 EDT 2008

Jim,

Commercial machine harvesters don't have trouble destroying the canes as you describe for one simple reason, they don't force the primocanes to the ground as you do.  They let the primocanes stay erect and they go through the machine as does the rest of the plant.  The machine harvester goes over the row shaking the plant and catching the fruit as it falls so any canes that are erect just go through the harvester mostly unharmed.  On the trailing blackberries, the growers just make sure that the canes are on the ground in the rows rather than the paths so that they aren't damaged by the harvester.  There is some acreage here in Oregon in alternate year production but most growers are on an every year system.

Having said that, the machine harvesters are an expensive investment and they just wouldn't be feasible for such a small operation as yours.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com