[NAFEX] Blueberries vs. Blackberries

Michael Dossett phainopepla at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 6 12:41:34 EDT 2008

Blackberry acreage is definitely on the rise worldwide, but not nearly at the pace of blueberry acreage.  I think part of this is that blackberry growers (at least here, may be different elsewhere where fresh markets rather than processed predominate) aren't making as much as blueberry growers.  I don't have the 2007 stats in front of me but looking at numbers for Oregon from 2006 the price of all blackberries fresh was $1.49/pound and processed 81 cents/pound.  Blueberries were considerably higher: $1.79/pound fresh and $1.30/pound processed.  These are the prices the growers get, not what consumers pay.  Combine this with the fact that blackberries averaged 72% of the yield per acre of blueberries.  Sure there will be differences in different parts of the country, but the trend here is definitely that blueberry growers are making more than blackberry growers right now.  I think a lot of this is fueled by consumer demand.  The health benefits of
 blueberries have gotten a lot more press than those of blackberries even though both are good sources of dietary antioxidants.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com