[NAFEX] Blueberries vs. Blackberries

Richard J.Ossolinski ossoeo at verizon.net
Wed Aug 6 12:22:54 EDT 2008

Hello, all,

Blueberries, at least the lowbush type with which I'm familiar, lend
themselves to mechanical harvesting once their habitat has been cleared
of rocks and boulders - a huge undertaking/expense but one which
growers in this area (which shares with Hammonton, N.J. the status of
"Blueberry Capital of the World") have chosen to incur, as it minimizes
reliance on (increasingly unpredictable) manpower at harvest time,
which correlates to a more controlled, predictable harvest, hence a
positive effect on the bottom line.  I can't imagine even firm
blackberries withstanding the rigors of mechanical
harvesting/processing that blueberries routinely endure with little
consequence.  Then again, I don't know diddly-squat about blackberries,
except that our local ones need to be handled with TLC.

Richard
Gouldsboro, ME Zone 5, and just a few days shy of the first ripe Puget
Golds