[NAFEX] Blueberries vs. Blackberries

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Wed Aug 6 10:49:59 EDT 2008

On Aug 6, 2008, at 10:44 AM, Mark & Helen Angermayer wrote:

> This is puzzling.  Fruit Grower News indicated blueberry production is
> expected to expand, in the near future, more than any other fruit.  As
> indicated by the article Sam posted, they are even growing them in
> Utah.  I can understand their popularity, they are tasty.  What I
> don't understand is why growers aren't putting in more blackberries.
> Around here, blackberries sell for quite a bit more than blueberries.
> At the grocers, they sell California blackberries in a little 6 oz.
> container for $2.50, equating to $7.50 per #.  The blackberries didn't
> even look that good.  Blueberries sell for $2.00 per # at the same
> store.
>
> I know a blackberry grower who goes to a farmer's market and sells
> out in the first hour, charging $3.75 per #.  He is thinking about
> buying blackberries from out of state in order to sell more.
>
> We've been giving them away.  One lady, whom we gave some to, called
> back and wanted to buy some.  She said the place that she normally
> buys them was sold out.  We ended up selling blackberries without even
> trying.
>
> Why isn't there more blackberry hype?
>
> Mark

Don't know. But I do know blueberries hold a lot longer than
blackberries, both on the plant and in the cooler. So that might be a
factor. Blackberries need to be picked almost instantly once ripe, and
need to be sold almost as fast once picked. Blackberries also, as
you've noticed, don't ship well.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly