[NAFEX] Japanese Beetles

Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov
Mon Aug 4 10:17:31 EDT 2008

Jim, I am about an hour east of WS.  The summer of 2007 was the worst
Japanese beetle year I have ever seen.  We have only been at our place
for 7 years, but it seems the beetles were getting worse very year to
the point of destroying all new apple growth as well as pole beans,
plum, elm, okra, no flowers left to bloom on the Crape myrtles, etc.
Every year I would spend my July- August dawn and dusk knocking adults
into soapy water, and reserving adulticide spray for the ornamentals.
Late last summer through, fall I spread some Milky Spore in selected
areas of my property.  This year I noticed the populations MUCH reduced,
and I was reminded of the color of my Crape myrtles in my yard!

However, I do not believe that my limited control attempts had much of
an effect.  MY belief is that our severe drought reduced this year's
crop of beetles.

I look to see what 2009 brings!

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC