[NAFEX] Bald-faced hornet nests/hornet-boxes

hans brinkmann hans-brinkmann at t-online.de
Sun Aug 3 06:22:23 EDT 2008

Hallo Jerry,

thank you very much!

there is a very interesting link of a Hornet-homepage:
http://www.muenster.org/hornissenschutz/directory.htm

The German version has additional information.
The English version is very interesting and has also American links for
Bald-faced hornets and Cicada Killers:
http://ww2.lafayette.edu/~hollidac/cicadakillerhome.html

And constructing proposals for hornet-boxes. At Germany we use 25 x 25 x
60 cm height, but at USA you may increase the size,
because most things are bigger/larger at USA. One long entry slot seems
to be better than two.
Some nests are much bigger, but for the average it is ok.  Occupied
boxes are easy to shift -  one meter per day or  more than 2km in once.
Put the box 4m high, but my own experience says 2m are also ok - if you
like to watch.

Hornets are the most tame/friendly from the wasp family. A average bee
colony is less tame.
And they are most hungry!!!  *A good hornet colony is eating some 1000
insects per day (flies, caterpillars...) !!!
*Also they eat many other wasps. The damage with bee colonies is not
significant.
This is one reason also bee-keepers do protect/keep hornets too.

Many years ago I installed a nesting box for owls in the size of a
dog-house for medium dogs - under my house roof.
The first year I have had already a beautiful owl family. But
additionally in the same box a hornet colony. I left it and finally the
hornet nest was almost touching the young owls... All owls became
adult!!! Probably this extreme happened because the hornets and the owls
became used to each other - very slowly.

I can work easily very close to hornet nests, but I need some more
distance to wasp nests.

One guy at the homepage is a surgeon who has had a hornet colony inside
his living room - where he was sitting with his family or visitors.
The hornets have not been separated with a net, but they flew together
with the visitors...

Giant wasp nest photo by: webmaster at landcare.cri.nz
This happened only at New Zealand with introduced wasps and WITHOUT winters!

ciao
hans