[NAFEX] a disturbing observatio on honeycrip apples

Steve sdw12986 at aol.com
Sun Aug 3 00:42:47 EDT 2008

fuwa fuwa usagi wrote:
> Well this year I faced for the first time a new pest, the Japanese beetle.  My yard, apparently was a paradise for them.  I a have never encounter these loathsome creatures before, nor do I ever wish to again.  they devastated my cherry and plum trees, ate my raspberries and devoured my grape plants...I noticed they avoided my pear tree and all my apple tree but on variety, they singled out my honeycrips, all three of them even though interplanted with other apple trees!!!
>
> I can only speak of my yard, but with 18 varieties, I find it odd that the only damage is to each of the three honeycrisp trees.
>
> the fluffy bunny

I went a couple of decades free of Japanese beetles after other areas
were having problems. Then a few showed up. More and more each year. I
feel that finally there are fewer this year than last year but it could
be that's it has been so rainy that I haven't been out to see what they
are doing. Your wish to never have to deal with them again will
certainly go unfulfilled.  :-(

You are exactly right about the Honeycrisp apples. I have only 4 apple
trees. One is a Honeygold and the other 3 have multiple grafts. Up to 9
cultivars per tree. Two years ago, the Japanese Beetles were all over my
grapes and I noticed them on one of the apple trees. A closer inspection
showed that every beetle was on a branch grafted to Honeycrisp. Not a
single beetle or any evidence of damage to a single leaf that wasn't
Honeycrisp.

Steve in the Adirondacks