[NAFEX] a disturbing observatio on honeycrip apples

Doreen Howard gardendiva at charter.net
Sat Aug 2 22:23:29 EDT 2008

Same here.  The Japanese beetles have left alone every apple except
Honeycrisp.  They have not touched the Asian pears, apricot or cherry, just
the Honeycrisp.  Of course, they've demolished the grapes and all the roses.
What is it about Honeycrisp that attracts them?  I have nine apple
varieties, two Asian pears, one apricot and one cherry planted in beds where
the trees are about 12 feet apart.  It makes no sense to me.  Hopefully, a
breeder or researcher on this listserv will have some answers.
Doreen Howard
IL-WI Border, Zone 4b