[NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 66, Issue 64

Tim Inman Tim at historicinteriors.com
Fri Aug 1 11:00:13 EDT 2008


Here's what I'd do:  Plant the seed and let it grow to first fruit.  If you 
win, you win.  If you don't get a good plum (likely), at least you will have 
a good plum rootstock growing just exactly where you'd like to have a tree. 
Learn how to do a little grafting and patch something known to be good onto 
the rootstock.  This gives you at least two chances of winning.  My great 
grandfather was famous for doing this at our farm.

Fiddling with fruit for fun is a different game than trying to raise an 
orchard crop for money, so we can get away with little experiments like 
this.  I'd give it a try!

Tim Inman
Randolph, Iowa

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <nafex-request at lists.ibiblio.org>
To: <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:17 PM
Subject: nafex Digest, Vol 66, Issue 64


> Send nafex mailing list submissions to
> nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> nafex-request at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> nafex-owner at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of nafex digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Re: Charcoal in Soil (and Terra Preta) (jas39a at earthlink.net)
>   2. Re: squirrels (Jwlehman at aol.com)
>   3. Re: squirrels (Brungardt, Sam)
>   4. Re: squirrels as food (Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov)
>   5. death to squirrels (Ernest Plutko)
>   6. Plum Question (Robert C. Mullins)
>   7. Re: Plum Question (Steve)
>   8. Re: Plum Question (Lon J. Rombough)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:26:51 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
> From: jas39a at earthlink.net
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Charcoal in Soil (and Terra Preta)
> To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
> Message-ID:
> <1533579.1217525211758.JavaMail.root at mswamui-cedar.atl.sa.earthlink.net>
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: 
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20080731/5969e05b/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:34:56 EDT
> From: Jwlehman at aol.com
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] squirrels
> To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
> Message-ID: <d4c.2857b34f.35c37bf0 at aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> In a message dated 7/31/2008 12:24:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> ernestplutko at wiktel.com writes:
>
>> Fried gray squirrels are good to eat.  If they are big boil them,
>> bread and fry. Young squirrels are tender.  Look at them as a
>> resource.  When I lived in West Virginia most people ate them durimg
>> hunting season.
>
> Fired squirrel with squirrel gravy & biscuits......you just can't eat 
> better!
> Except maybe for snapping turtle.
>
>
>
> **************
> Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for
> FanHouse Fantasy Football today.
>
> (http://www.fanhouse.com/fantasyaffair?ncid=aolspr00050000000020)
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: 
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20080731/e51d1a97/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:12:12 -0500
> From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] squirrels
> To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Message-ID:
> <D577CC7D2E27894389723752BCAECBCF05B695CF at s-sp22.pca.state.mn.us>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> I agree; haven't had fried squirrel with squirrel gravy and biscuits nor
> snapping turtle since I was a kid in Kansas.  They rank right up there
> with fried chicken giblets (livers, hearts, gizzards and lungs) with
> biscuits and onion gravy.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
> [mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Jwlehman at aol.com
> Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:35 PM
> To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] squirrels
>
>
> In a message dated 7/31/2008 12:24:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> ernestplutko at wiktel.com writes:
>
>
>
> Fried gray squirrels are good to eat.  If they are big
> boil them,
> bread and fry. Young squirrels are tender.  Look at them
> as a
> resource.  When I lived in West Virginia most people ate
> them durimg
> hunting season.
>
>
>
> Fired squirrel with squirrel gravy & biscuits......you just
> can't eat better!  Except maybe for snapping turtle.
>
>
>
> **************
> Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for
> FanHouse Fantasy Football today.
>
> (http://www.fanhouse.com/fantasyaffair?ncid=aolspr00050000000020)
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: 
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20080731/802231c5/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:01:13 -0400
> From: Hilborn.E at epamail.epa.gov
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] squirrels as food
> To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Message-ID:
> <OFE0A63626.9FBDE0F6-ON85257497.00787D60-85257497.0078F659 at epamail.epa.gov>
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
>
> These are all good pieces of information now that food prices are going
> through the roof.
>
> I also understand that grey squirrels are a huge menace in the UK.
> Maybe a new food trend could be encouraged there to reduce grey squirrel
> populations...
>
> Chatter and chips?
>
> But it looks as if I am not the first to think of this:
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/may/11/recipes.foodanddrink
>
> Betsy Hilborn
> in NC 7a where there are plenty of grey squirrels
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:37:17 -0500
> From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko at wiktel.com>
> Subject: [NAFEX] death to squirrels
> To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
> Message-ID: <380-220087431223717875 at wiktel.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
>
> Gray squirrels are a horrible pest in your yard or orchard.  They are
> easily killed by using a wire live trap with peanut butter or corn or
> bread as bait. Don't use a .22 to kill trapped squirrels because you
> will get blood on trap or you will hit a wire with bullet and break
> it.  Take trap with squirrel in it and submerge in tub of water to
> drown pest.  Then eat squirrel.  A vertical rat on a tree doesn't
> work well.  Don't talk about pest control because do-gooder neighbors
> will be outraged.
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:14:22 -0500
> From: "Robert C. Mullins" <mullins at gaelicmysts.com>
> Subject: [NAFEX] Plum Question
> To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
> Message-ID: <4892474E.8060306 at gaelicmysts.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Tasted a plum, it was delicious, saved the seed.  And now the big
> question, if I plant it, will it grow true?
>
>
> -- 
> Robert C. Mullins M.S. IT
> GaelicMysts Farms and Permaculture, Owner
> Clarksville, Ar
> Zone 8a
> http://wildcraft.gaelicmysts.com
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 19:33:37 -0400
> From: Steve <sdw12986 at aol.com>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum Question
> To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Message-ID: <48924BD1.5040002 at aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Robert C. Mullins wrote:
>> Tasted a plum, it was delicious, saved the seed.  And now the big
>> question, if I plant it, will it grow true?
>>
> About the same chance as winning the lottery.
> If the plum was a wild plum (unimproved by breeding or selection), then
> the seed might produce a tree with very similar fruit. Since you say it
> was delicious, I'm going to assume it was pretty far from a wild fruit.
>
> Steve
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:17:38 -0700
> From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom at hevanet.com>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum Question
> To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Message-ID: <71287f90761257fc75a7f4b4ed6b83ff at hevanet.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Some European plums will come fairly true to seed.  Green Gage types
> have long been grown from seed in various places.
> I've grown plums from seed and have gotten a good percentage of trees
> that had decent quality fruit even if it wasn't the same as the parent.
>  The main defect is that a very high percentage of seedlings have
> smaller fruit than the parent.
> -Lon Rombough
> Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at
> http://www.bunchgrapes.com  Winner of the Garden Writers Association
> "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
> For all other things grape,   http://www.vitisearch.com
> A video about The Grape Grower :
> http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/
> On Jul 31, 2008, at 4:33 PM, Steve wrote:
>
> Robert C. Mullins wrote:
>> Tasted a plum, it was delicious, saved the seed.  And now the big
>> question, if I plant it, will it grow true?
>>
> About the same chance as winning the lottery.
> If the plum was a wild plum (unimproved by breeding or selection), then
> the seed might produce a tree with very similar fruit. Since you say it
> was delicious, I'm going to assume it was pretty far from a wild fruit.
>
> Steve
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> Reproduction of list messages or archives is not allowed.
> This includes distribution on other email lists or reproduction on web
> sites.
> Permission to reproduce is NEVER granted, so don't claim you have
> permission!
>
> **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
> Posts from email addresses that are not subscribed are discarded.
> No exceptions.
> ----
> To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be
> used to change other email options):
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
> File attachments are NOT stripped by this list.
> TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
> Please do not send binary files.
> Use plain text ONLY in emails!
>
> NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: not available
> Type: text/enriched
> Size: 2103 bytes
> Desc: not available
> Url : 
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/nafex/attachments/20080731/72c300f3/attachment.bin
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> nafex mailing list
> nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> Reproduction of list messages or archives is not allowed.
> This includes distribution on other email lists or reproduction on web 
> sites.
> Permission to reproduce is NEVER granted, so don't claim you have 
> permission!
>
> **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
> Posts from email addresses that are not subscribed are discarded.
> No exceptions.
> ----
> To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be 
> used to change other email options):
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex
>
> File attachments are NOT stripped by this list.
> TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
> Please do not send binary files.
> Use plain text ONLY in emails!
>
> NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/
>
>
> End of nafex Digest, Vol 66, Issue 64
> ************************************* 




More information about the nafex mailing list