[NAFEX] Fw: Fairfax strawberry

loneroc loneroc at mwt.net
Fri Nov 30 07:06:24 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: loneroc
To: Richard J. Ossolinski
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 6:01 AM
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fairfax strawberry

Yeah, I thought the timing was odd, too.  The original e-request info said that they (Corvallis, evidently, not Cornwallis as I'd written) shipped late summer.  It was 20F the day they arrived--I got an e-mail the day before telling me they were coming.  I suppose if I'd been out of town i woouldn't be so pleased with the 'customer service'. There were two six foot runners, each with four plantlets. Ya only get two runners per request.  I suspect that the total #  of plantlets depends on how many requests there are for a particular variety.  The plants came with a printout of the list of viruses it'd been tested for--all the tests were negative.  Apparently most of the clones have been heat treated to remove viruses. I imagine that strawberries would be among the easier plants to de-virus---fast growing and small.  The plants are kept in screen houses to exclude insect vectors.

To Ginda and Rivka--I'm not a plant-seller-guy so they won't be on the market through my efforts.  As always, I am happy to pass anything I have along to other NAFEXers.  I'm sure I'll have extra 'Fairfax' material next summer.  Contact me off list if you want a plant or two.