[NAFEX] Peach rootstock

R F Hollaus hollaus at comcast.net
Thu Nov 29 13:01:56 EST 2007

John,
Sounds like what you want out of P. americana is a homozygous seed line that is
true for peach grafting.  If you can find it then keep your americana seed line
isolated.  If you find it works in most cases and not all then think about grafting in
the first leaf instead.  I can't remember the exact book I read this or where it was
done but I do know Nanking plum (tomentosa) was tried as peach dwarfing stock
and the results were mostly failures after a few years growing. When micro-grafted
up in the first leaf there was improvement because 50% lived long term.  The
mechanism responsible for better takes was never identified but I have always
wondered about this.  I think it is called mentoring, the power of seedlings to say for
example rejuvenate adult phase scions back to again a juvenile and again ready to
root state.  They took adult eucaliptus and every year they took the tip growth of the
adult wood back to a one year seedling for whip grafting.  It was only after 6 years
complete youth was re-established.
Rupert, PNW zone7-8

From: john bunker <jbunker at gwi.net>